We are proud to feature the fine instruments of the Blüthner family of pianos.
Orchestras and pianists alike are impressed by the sound, the shading of the dynamics, and the outstanding performance of the instruments. Chamber musicians praise the tonal character as being full of charm with a sound comparable to a violin cello. Singers love the golden tone for accompanying the human voice. Musicians and composers affectionately call the Blüthner instrument “the poet among the pianos”. Over 150,000 pianos have been produced of which many have been played by well-known personalities.
Richly influenced by the musical traditions and entrepreneurial spirit of the city of Leipzig, Germany, Julius Blüthner opened a pianoforte company on November 18th, 1853. His instruments were quickly recognized for their outstanding technical and musical qualities and were established in concert halls all over the world. Ten instruments were made the first year. Soon the instruments captured the attention of experts, top pianists and musical authorities. Well known artists like Brahms, Jadason, Liszt, Mahler, Moscheles, Nikisch, Rachmaninov, Schumann, and Tschaikovsky were welcome guests in the Blüthner house. The pianos received great acclaim for being serious concert instruments.
As Julius Blüthner had wished, all aspects of the business were handed down to successive generations of the Blüthner family, starting with his four sons. The advantages of a family business became clear in pivotal moments in history: the First and Second World Wars, the 1929 economic crisis. The Blüthner family build an extremely lightweight grand piano for the airship Hindenburg. Dr. Rudolph Blüthner-Haessler rebuild the company after it was completely destroyed by fire during an air raid in World War II.
In 1966, Ingbert Blüthner-Haessler took over the management. He stayed as a managing director during the unlawful nationalization of East Germany by the government and reorganized the company back into a family business after the fall of the wall in 1989. From 1994 to 1997 the family planned and built the new factory in Störmhall near Leipzig.
Since 1995 Ingbert Blüthner-Haessler shares the management of the company with his two sons Dr. Christian Blüthner-Haessler, who is in charge of sales and finances, and Knut Blüthner-Haessler, who is in charge of production and all technical aspects. As a result of the large demand and interest, the company has subsidiaries and service centers in the U.S., Russia, France, Netherlands and Asia.
Generations of musicians and singers have been dedicated to the fascinating sound of a Blüthner. Claude Debussy, Peter I. Tschaikovsky, the Beatles, Johann Strauss, Dmitri Schostakovich, Bela Bartók, Johannes Brahms, Fjodor Schaljapin, Franz Liszt, Gustav Mahler, Sergei Rachmaninov, Richard Wagner, A. Lloyd Webber and countless others.